I obviously didn’t spend enough time in heartfelt prayer last Thursday.
Wednesday night when I went to bed my daughter and her two friends, Malky and Pnina, were all happy with their Shabbos arrangements.
After school on Thursday, my daughter called Malky to see if she would, indeed, be staying with us over Shabbos. Malky said that Rena’s parents had changed their minds and she would be staying there. My daughter then decided to go to another friend’s house with her sister. Everyone was still happy.
On Thursday night, during supper, our phone rang. Since we do not answer the phone while we are eating, we let the voicemail take a message. After supper, at about 8:30 pm, I listened to the message. It was Pnina’s mother telling me that she had spoken to the teacher who in turn spoke with the principal and it was decided that Pnina would stay here as originally planned and Malky would go to Rena’s. Are you kidding? No way, NO way! I will admit that my response was less than perfect.
Before I had a chance to decide on an appropriate response and course of action, the phone rang again. It was the girl Pnina was supposed to stay at for the Shabbaton. She spoke with my daughter and explained that, actually, she couldn’t have Pnina stay at her house. My daughter told her that she had made arrangements to stay at a different friend’s house. Hmm.
I decided to call the principal and seek advice on this delicate matter. She advised me to ask my daughter if she had any preference – to stay at her friend or to have Pnina stay here. Once that decision was made, I would call Pnina’s mother to discuss.
I was walking down the hall to speak with my daughter when the phone rang yet again. It was Pnina’s mother. She launched right in, explaining about her earlier message and the progression of events that led to the current phone call. She told me that the classmate who was to host Pnina had called after speaking with my daughter to tell Pnina that my daughter was staying at another friend’s house and that she had asked her mother again and Pnina would be able to stay there after all. Pnina’s mother and I chatted for a few minutes. When we ended the call, everyone was happy again.
I called back the principal to thank her and let her know the result.
I was exhausted and emotionally drained from this roller coaster ride but one thing was crystal clear. Hashem works everything out. There is never any need to worry on that front.
This is yet another example of a situation where my procrastination (although, to be fair, the first delay was due to our dinner time and the second delay was caused by my seeking advice) paid off. I was able to just let the situation resolve itself. As it so often does:)
In the end, the girls all enjoyed the Shabbaton – and that is what really matters.